To celebrate the debut of their new musical, The Light Princess, the National Theatre is looking for IdeasTap members to make a short film inspired by the show. Your film can take any form of moving image, including animation, computer generated graphics, documentary, etc. This brief is aimed at filmmakers who haven't had the opportunity before to have their work supported and showcased.
Opening on 25 September, The Light Princess, adapted from a Scottish fairytale, is the story of a princess who loses her sense of gravity after the death of her mother and, through the pursuit of true love, must confront her deepest fears.
The NT is looking for applications from pairs of filmmakers. There will be five winning duos – that means 10 winners in total. You will be paired-up with a relevant mentor. You will also be working with the National Theatre's in-house filmmaking unit.
This is how it’ll work:
- You and your partner will be paired-up with a suitable mentor
- You will see a preview of The Light Princess
- On Saturday 5 October, you will take part in a series of workshops looking at the various aspects of the show. At the end of this day, each duo will pitch an idea and then receive feedback from their mentors
- From this feedback you will submit a final treatment by Friday 12 October
- You will then make your film and provide a first edit by Friday 2 November, a second edit on Friday 9 November and the final film on Wednesday 13 November.
The final five films will be published on the National Theatre’s website and their YouTube channel.
This brief closes on Friday 6 September at 12pm and is open to IdeasTap members aged 18 to 25. If you have any technical queries, please visit the Help Centre. Late entries will not be accepted under any circumstances, including technical issues – so make sure you don’t leave your application to the last minute.