This brief is for photographers aged 23 to 30. If you're aged 16 to 22, visit the other Photographic Award brief.
Once again, we've teamed up with legendary photographic agency Magnum Photos to offer IdeasTap photographers the opportunity of a lifetime. The Award is open to UK-based photographers aged 16 to 30 (in two separate age groups – this brief is for 23-to-30-year-olds), and is split into three categories:
The Photographic Award has two overall winners (one in each age group), but also offers opportunities to 12 shortlisted snappers – two in each category from each age group. All 12 shortlisted applicants will receive a mentoring session with a Magnum Photographer, £60 of Blurb book vouchers and £150 to have their pictures printed; their photographs will be framed and included in an exhibition at IdeasTap HQ, The Woolyard.
From the 12 shortlisted photographers, six will be selected – one from each category in each age group. The six finalists will each receive £1,500 to shoot their dream project, create a multimedia Magnum in Motion project and will receive a second mentoring session.
Finally, a winner will be picked from each age group. The overall winners of the Award will each receive £5,000 and sought-after internships at Magnum – one with the Magnum in Motion team in New York (one week); the other a six-week paid internship with Magnum in London.
Applicants must create a set within their IdeasTap portfolio containing five photographs (no more, no less). We're looking for creative and striking photographs that demonstrate photographic skill and understanding. The five photos in your portfolio must demonstrate your ability to tell a story with your images.
In the first round of judging, the images will be viewed in Portfolio Presentation view on the site with a black background and no border (unless you choose to add one to your images before you upload them).
For more details about how to apply, click on the How to respond tab at the top of this brief.
Read about last year's nine shortlisted photographers and the three finalists.
Please make sure you download and read the Terms & Conditions before applying.
If you're interested in photography, have a look at our Magnum Professional Practice brief.
Image courtesy of keithpatterson on Flickr.
Follow this brief to download the application form
Once you’ve uploaded the five images to your IdeasTap portfolio, follow these steps:
1) First read the Terms and Conditions to ensure your application is valid.
2) Download the application form (below), fill it in and save it with your name as the file name. Do not leave any fields blank – incomplete applications will be ineligible. Ensure the saved document is smaller than 3MB or you will not be able to upload it.
3) To upload your completed application form, you must be logged in to IdeasTap. Hit “Follow this brief” and then choose “Apply now”.
4) In the Title field add the category you’re entering (Photojournalism, Environmental photography or Conceptual art).
5) In the Summary field enter the same explanation of your photo essay that you’ve used on the application form (100 words or less).
6) Attach a file – this is where you upload the application form that you’ve saved. DO NOT attach any photographs – your photographs must be in your IdeasTap portfolio.
7) Hit Submit to submit your application. Once your application has been submitted you cannot make changes, so please make sure you're happy with everything before you do this. You will receive an automated email to confirm we've received your application. If you don't receive this email please check your spam/junk folder before contacting us.
8) Once you've submitted your application, make sure that you have a picture on your profile. You will not be judged on the quality of this image and it doesn't have to be a picture of you, but as with all IdeasTap briefs, to be eligible you must have a profile picture.