Do you need to be pulled up by your bootstraps? Then let our lovely partners HighTide Festival do the pulling.
The HighTide Writers’ Bootcamp is the first of three special events organised by HighTide in partnership with IdeasTap, aimed to develop the writing of exceptional emerging playwrights from around the country. The first of these bootcamps will be held in London for 15 writers, the second in Suffolk, the home of the HighTide festival, and the third in Manchester.
This is the brief for the London HighTide Writers' Bootcamp, which will take place at IdeasTap HQ on Wednesday 19 and Thursday 20 September. Briefs for the later bootcamps with follow soon.
Join the HighTide Literary Manager Rob Drummer and Vickie Donoghue (Mudlarks) for two days of focused play and experimentation, questioning, development and advice on your writing.
Here’s what you’ll cover over the two days:
- Meet and greet, while learning more about HighTide and your fellow writers.
- Intensive work on playwriting with Rob Drummer.
- Up and about and making work from diverse starting points.
- Obsessing over detail vs the bigger picture.
- Being our own toughest critic: where have we succeeded and where could we improve?
- Scene study, something old and something new.
- Session with Vickie Donoghue, including a Q&A.
- Hearing our work and offering feedback to others.
- Concluding one-on-one sessions.
Hightide is looking for applicants at any stage in their career – you may have sent them work in the past or just intend to do so. They are also looking maintain a relationship beyond these two days, so are looking for writers who inspire and challenge them as much as they do you.
So, what are you waiting for?
This brief closes on Wednesday 12 September at 12pm and is open to IdeasTap members aged 16 and above. If you have any technical queries, please visit the Help Centre. Late entries will not be accepted under any circumstances, including technical issues – so don’t leave your application to the last minute.