Do you need to pull your writing socks up? Then allow our lovely partners HighTide Festival to give you a hand.
The HighTide Writers’ Bootcamp is the second of three special events organised by HighTide in partnership with IdeasTap, aimed to develop the writing of exceptional emerging playwrights from around the country.
This is the brief for the Birmingham HighTide Writers' Bootcamp, which will take place at mac birmingham in their Randles studio space on Monday 22 and Tuesday 23 October. A brief for the next bootcamp in Manchester will follow soon.
Join HighTide Literary Manager Rob Drummer for two days of focused play and experiment, questioning, development and advice on your writing. The intensive two days are designed to propose a lot of questions without necessarily providing all the answers. We are fully intending to work on plays you have written, plays you intend to write and plays you never knew you could write.
Here’s what you’ll get up to over the two days:
- Meet and greet, while learning more about HighTide and your fellow writers.
- Intensive work on playwriting with Rob Drummer.
- Up and about, and making work from diverse starting points.
- Obsessing over detail vs the bigger picture.
- Being our own toughest critic – where have we succeeded and where could we improve?
- Scene study: something old and something new.
- Hearing our work and offering feedback to others.
- One-on-one sessions to conclude the two days.
You can be a writer at any stage of your career: you may have sent us work in the past or intend to do so. We intend to maintain a relationship beyond these two days and are therefore looking for writers who inspire and challenge us as much as we do you.
This brief closes on Tuesday 16 October at 12pm and is open to IdeasTap members aged 16 and above. If you have any technical queries, please visit the Help Centre. Late entries will not be accepted under any circumstances, including technical issues – so don’t leave your application to the last minute.